Year 7 Residential
At Bideford College we aim for young people to be happy, successful and responsible by learning the knowledge skills and values that are important for society.
Aims of the residential
- To develop the learning skills necessary for secondary education
- Understand what is expected of you at Bideford College
- Experience learning beyond the classroom
- To get to know staff and other students from your House in Year 7
- Help you develop relationships that will last throughout your time at College
When we are in situations that are unusual, we often learn more about ourselves and become more self-confident as a result. We will have time to reflect on the experiences during and after the residential in a way that will help students to be ready for the life ahead of them at Bideford College
Bachelors Hall is situated on the outskirts of Princetown, in the heart of the Dartmoor National Park. The Centre lies in a tranquil, secluded valley with easy access to the open moor. The accommodation is divided into two large dormitories, two medium sized dormitories and two smaller bedrooms.
Staff and Students
To get to know staff and other students from your House in Year 7 – Year 7 tutors, Head of House and House Captains will attend the residential, accompanied by Dr Ankers and Mrs Vowles. The nature of the residential both in terms of time and the activities, will allow these staff to get to know the students in a way that will build relationships for the rest of their time at Bideford College.
This is a personal development residential, it is organised for students to benefit from the experience as much as possible.
Students will learn how to:
- Read and orientate a map
- Build a Tyrolean crossing and traverse a river
- Complete a journey as part of a team
- Set tables, wash up and prepare packed lunches.
- Organise equipment for themselves and others
- Support and encourage their team
- Prepare and complete a presentation to an audience