I cannot believe that we are almost at the end of the summer term. We have been so busy at the College over the last 6 months, putting into place or embedding new systems to ensure that in September – Bideford College is ready to provide an outstanding level of education for its students and the community of Bideford. The new behaviour expectations have really improved the learning environment for all students and already, we are noticing improvements in how well the students are doing in their assessments. Staff have been working extremely hard to ensure that lessons are challenging and engaging and I know that the students are benefiting from this on a daily basis. In addition to this, we have the new uniform to look forward to and the new House system which is being launched to the students in greater detail over the coming weeks- ready for September. We also have a revised curriculum, which we feel is much more adept at meeting the needs of the students – affording choice and challenge and we feel, equipping them for the needs of the 21st century. We are also busy finalising the details of the Year 7 Residential, which will take place in October and the new A+ Award, which is part of the new Co-curriculum. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who contributed to the planning of the new systems with ideas and suggestions. I know that September is going to be the start of a new era for Bideford College and bright futures for the students who attend.
Although there are only 3 weeks remaining, there are still many exciting things still to happen:
- “Brexit” Assemblies – to clarify to students what this actually means
- Introductory House Assemblies – using the “sorting hat”- to show students which Houses they are in.
- Essex Dance – Tuesday 5th July – Years 7-9 will attend a dance performance from a professional dance group at the College.
- Summer Showcase – Friday 8th July – an opportunity to see some of our fine musicians and performers in the College
- Sports Days (weather permitting!) – Thursday 7th July – Year 9/10 and Wednesday 13th July – Year 7/8
- Principal’s Garden Party – Tuesday 19th July – to celebrate the achievements of our students. Look out for a personal invite for your child and your family.
- Activities’ Days – Thursday 21st and Friday 22nd July – the final two days of term filled with fun activities and trips.
And still, many more exciting lessons to attend!
You may have noticed in the press that there is a National Union of Teachers strike scheduled to take place across the country on Tuesday 5th July. This is part of national industrial action organised by this trade union and concerns teachers’ pay and conditions. While this action is not against Bideford College there may be some of our staff participating in the strike. It is our intention at Bideford College, however, to open as normal for all students. If you wish to know more about the strike and the reasons behind this industrial action, then additional information can be found on the NUT website.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all of your support over the last 6 months and to also wish you and your families a very warm and happy summer.
Download the original letter here